Saturday 1 May 2010

Pre-conference Adventures

I am currently enjoying time playing tourist in Vienna before the EGU conference starts next week. I am very fortunate in that I’ve got a native guide to show me around and introduce me to her friends. I few years back I met a lady through an e-mail list for people who are interested in the clothing styles which were popular in the 12th Century. She posted a question about a costume she wanted to make, so I sent her the pattern I used when I did one in that style, and we began corresponding. I’ve long admired the photos she shares of her embroidery in her blog, and it is ever so much fun to see it in person, and to try on one another’s costumes.
She’s taken me fabric shopping, to museums, and to look at the early medieval stone carvings in the local cathedral and churches. She’s hosted a gathering of people to work on sewing projects tonight, and I am having much fun hanging out with like minded new friends. Tomorrow there will be more museums, and on Monday I’ll head to the conference and enjoy lectures on one of the other subjects which interest me. I understand we will have internet access on site, so I’ll try to post highlights of the talks during lunch breaks.
In the meantime I’m enjoying the fact that I can indulge two such very different sets of interest on one trip.

No comments: